If you'd ask me what songs are found in my mp4, i'll tell you two words: 90's Pop. You'll find the Spice Girls, Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, etc. In fairness, as much as I was known back in high school as a boyband fanatic, you won't find any boyband song in my player. hehe. I love pop culture and I especially love the 90's. I must say that 1997 was when pop music was at its peak. Boy and girl bands were everywhere and I was such a big fan. haha. It was all part of my teenage years -- obsessing over Stephen Gately of Boyzone, promoting Girl Power, wearing baggy pants with side pockets as inspired by All Saints, memorizing the names of each member of every boyband. Shucks. Haha. And the most embarrassing part is that I had this huge and majorly stupid fight with a classmate just because we favored different boybands. Toink! I was 12 years old then and to me, Backstreet Boys vs. Boyzone was such a big issue.
Anyway, whatever happened to those bands? We know for a fact that there were a number of boyband members who went out of their closets. I have nothing against them but I have to admit that I was brokenhearted when Steo, my beloved Stephen Gately, turned out to be gay. *sigh* 15-year-old Alia couldn't accept it. hehe. Then Mark Feehily of Westlife, Dave Moffat of The Moffats, Lance Bass of N*Sync followed suit.
Talk about girlbands. I can only come up with two groups: the Spice Girls and All Saints. All right, there was Destiny's Child, SWV, Girl Thing, Solid Harmony, etc. But I especially loved the first two. (Sing: Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want. =p) And my favorite Spice Girl? It had to be Posh Spice. Victoria Adams - Beckham had to be my favorite. Why? Because she was so vain and she always wore black. hehe. Cute but not pa-cute.
I also loved All Saints' songs. Everytime I hear the name "All Saints" I'm reminded of a classroom scene back in high school. I couldn't remember the scene perfectly well... but anyway, it was in 1998 and I was a sophomore. Two of my classmates were holding an All Saints CD and they couldn't tell which one was Nicole or Natalie. I butted in (tsismosang Alia). I told them who was who. One of them refused to believe me. Eh si Alia, ayaw patalo. "Totoo, eto si Natalie at yan si Nicole!" (Gosh.) Then my classmate decided to dismiss the argument by saying, "Ano ka ba, Sajs? Si Melanie ang pinag-uusapan namin. Hindi si Nicole o Natalie." Then they started laughing. *sigh* I felt like I was bullied. (Wag na kasing sumingit sa usapan ng may usapan, Sajs!).

When we were in fourth year, we had this "Britney vs. Christina" thing. So much like "Hilary Duff vs. Lindsay Lohan" five years later. hehe. I voted for Christina, of course because I loved her voice.
*sigh* High school life... I had no life. hehe. I was such a couch potato. It was all about MTV and Studio 23. I didn't care about the prom or the boys or the clothes.
Oh, well. That's high school for me.
Next time, I'll blog about Dawson's Creek, Charmed, Hang Time, Saved By The Bell, Beverly Hills 90210, etc. hehe.
3 comments:
sajs! yeah i remember ur ardent passion for boybands back then. if my memory serves me right, i remember u even daring to go to manila to watch a concert then of boyzone. tama ba, sajs? ako yata, too consumed with love teams during hs. and yeah, it would have to be joshua-joey-dawson trio! hehe.
don't worry i had the same teenage life..grabe, follower din ako ng dawsons, charmed, 7th heaven, saved by the bell, alex mack, hangtime, and beverly hills. hhmm..i suddenly missed these shows...:-(
haha.. gurl, you sure have a way of bringing back old memories i've forgotten i had. kala ko ba malabo ang memory mo? then what do you call this? hehehe... i had fun reading your trip-to-memory-lane entries, gurl. naiinspire tuloy akong magsulat about sa sailormoon. weeee....
Post a Comment