
It was all over the news last night.
In the 9/30 episode of Desperate Housewives, Susan (Teri Hatcher) made a remark to her gynecologist (who told her she might be hitting menopause) "Can I just check those diplomas because I just want to make sure that they are not from some med school in the Philippines."
Things like these just keep on coming, don't they? I haven't seen a single episode of "Desperate Housewives" and to tell you frankly, I'm glad that I was never a fan of the show. Otherwise, I would have been devastated to hear these people make some racist remarks about my community. {If I heard my all-time favorite TV character Pacey Witter make such remarks, I would have been brokenhearted (OA! hehe. I love Josh.)}
The Filipino community wants a public apology from the network, and ABC already aired their apologies. But was it sufficient? I don't think so.
I agree that the show must air an episode where Susan would take back what she said and must actually prefer a Filipino doctor. That wouldn't hurt. It would at least show some sincerity on their part; that they are truly apologetic.
In any case, I've viewed some online petitions and I found the following views interesting:
Mike B: Yes, it is freedom of speech! and I reserve my right to dissent against an apparent denigrating remark against not just Filipinos, but all Asians. The media portrays all Asians as weak, feeble and and easy road kill. Wouldn't the Jewish Anti-defamation league, would have them for lunch if they said "Jewish colleges" - just ask Mel Gibson. How about Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton? There is a reason few people slip like Don Imus, because they know there is a price to pay for racist remarks, but only against certain races. Don't be so naive. Asians, should not let themselves get stepped on by the Media. So. Filipinos, and fellow asians, assert yourselves, let everyone know we have a backbone and VOTE for a formal apology from ABC/Disney.
Adam S.: This is totaly insane!!!! it's a tv show people....it's freedom of speech....real people make racist coments it's a fact of life like it or not. Ok now lets cancel the office, the simpsons, the family guy, make sur no re-runs of all in the family hit the air because us Americans are so damn uptight!!! Lightin up people.....you'll live longer.
Rama A.: If you find this insane, then why are you here? This call was addressed to Filipinos- Are you a Filipino? Then, mind your own business !! We do LIVE LONGER than you Americans because we have values, integrity & morals. WE take care of our names and reputations so we can leave a legacy. We may not be perfect as a people, we may have committed blunders in the past but we have always strived to do better and we have always maintained respect on other race or religion. "Americans are promiscous so you deserve AIDS, BROKEN FAMILIES and the TWIN TOWER BOMBING"-- that's what we think of you but never did you hear us openly comment about that-- especially on highly watched tv shows-- because we care about the feelings of others as much as we care about our fellow filipinos who toiled abroad just to send their children to school; who indure homesickness just to be able to send money to their families here in the Philippines. You find this insane because you don't understand how we feel. And you'll never understand us because you're just a bunch of LOW-MORALED IGNORANT BIGOTS.
1 comment:
i checked the site and there are very good points there..ang masasabi ko lang Freedom of Speech also comes with some responsibilities...let's just see to it na walang matatapakan na tao... di pa nga tapos tong issue na to meron nanaman bago re: cory aquino...i guess, they are just insecure sa mga pinoy... :P
Post a Comment