Monday, December 10, 2007

i want mtv back

If you knew "Sajs" as in Alia from high school, you'd know how fanatic I was when it came to MTV. While everyone religiously watched ERAP's impeachment trial every night on channel 2, I, on the other hand, was busy watching MTV Asia's IPOP. it was an MTV segment where they featured text messages from viewers all over Southeast Asia. I tried my luck for about three times or so, hoping that my messages would get in. Luckily, my message got featured once. Just once. It was that night when I had my classmate, Dyan, tune in on MTV because I promised that I would greet her. Imagine my excitement when my message was flashed on screen for about five seconds. I was so thrilled. *sigh* Teenager. lol

Who was my favorite VJ? I have to say Mike Kasem. The guy was funny. I can still remember his spoof version of Alanis' "Ironic." He was crazy. Jamie Aditya also had his own sense of humor but I couldn't relate to him that well because of his accent. Worse, he oftentimes lapsed into Bahasa. Nadya Hutagalung was pretty. Danny McGill was the rocker. I'll never forget his Harley Davidson on MTV Rock. Rahul, the gorgeous Indian guy, usually hosted MTV Fresh. Keri Kasem, Mike's sister also became a VJ for a while. Sarah had large eyes. I didn't like her because she couldn't speak English very well. Since she came to MTV, Nadya and Jamie also started to speak in Bahasa. I hated it when they joined forces on MTV Land.

Regine Maristela (Tolentino) was the first Pinay MTV VJ I knew. She was followed by G Toengi who got along very well with Sonia Couling from Thailand. I liked them both. They subsequently became endorsers for Smart. Then there was VJ Shannen, the skinny, curly-haired woman. And of course, Donita. I didn't like her at first because I thought she was trying too hard. But then I came to love her silly attitude and her bubbly image. Besides, she looked so fresh on screen. VJs Utt (a.k.a Greg), Belinda and KC Montero later on joined the gang.

Unfortunately, I had to go to college and miss all the fun stuff on MTV (as well as Pacey and the Charmed sisters). It was the saddest part of my dormitory life.*big sigh*

I went on with my college life without any idea that we already have MTV Pilipinas on Channel 41; for FREE; without any need for cable subscription. I never knew Mariel Rodriguez until I saw her on Pinoy Big Brother. I wasn't thrilled either when I saw KC Concepcion hosting a show on MTV.

I loved the new shows, though but I only got the chance to watch them two years ago because I already had my own TV. (cheers!) My personal favorites were Punk'd, Boiling Point and Pimp My Ride.

Nevertheless, I miss the old MTV Asia. I miss the former VJs, the boyband era, the Spice Girls' "Girl Power!", the Artists of the Months, the Hotseats, the "request of the day" moments with Donita on Most Wanted. Shucks, the address is still stuck on my head: MTV Most Wanted. Robinson Road 2088, P.O. Box 904088. weeee... I'm not sure though if I remember that right.

I want MTV!

3 comments:

Ako Si May said...

yes! i remember mike kasem, too. and that other girl. i think her name was nadya (right?). i liked her, too. i liked watching MTV then because they almost always had something about the boybands (BSB!) and the girl bands. and i like their by-requests segment (kasi laging may BSB), and their hotseat (BSB once guested there!). pero bigla siyang nawala sa studio23 and pinalitan ng myx. i didn't like it then (paranga nagvivideoke ka) and i still don't like it now. hehehe... go MTV -- i like!

sahara alia said...

hindi ata nag-hotseat ang bsb, gurl. kasi usually para sa mga new artists then ang hotseat. artist of the month ang bsb. ;-)

itsmeela said...

But I remember watching charmed with you sa Laud. Tama ba ako? Or am I just imagining things? hehe