Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Wahdi

I met someone new today at the prayer room in Ateneo. He just finished performing the Ash'r (3:00) prayer and was getting ready to leave by the time I entered the room.

"Assalamu Alaikum," I said.

I didn't think I heard him reply. He probably muttered "Wa alaikumusalam" under his breath. I wouldn't know.

I was putting off my slippers when he asked, "Do you work here, sis?"

"No," I said. "I'm a student. And you?"

"I used to work at the Campus Ministry here."

"Ahh.. Where are you from?" I asked, picking up my mukna and sajadan.

"Cotabato."

"Really? Me, too. Where in Cotabato?"

"Libungan."

"Ahh.. I'm from Cotabato City."

We exchanged some few words until he said that he was a "balik-islam" (convert), which interested me. I always found people who converted to Islam interesting. It was tempting to ask why or what made him believe in Islam. I didn't dare though.

Before he locked the door behind him, he said his name was Glenn.

I was stunned for about two seconds. Then he said that his Muslim name was "Wahdi." I'm not sure about the spelling, though but it sure sounded like it.

Then I texted Goldfish about it.

"Hulaan mo anong name nya."

"Glenn?"

"Paano mo nalaman?"

"Guess ko lang. hahaha. Ano kaya muslim name ko noh?"

"Gusto ko Yusuf. Arabic for Joseph. Named after the Prophet -- Joseph the Dreamer. Sya raw kasi yung pinakagwapong prophet." :-)

3 comments:

Ako Si May said...

weeeeee....

need i say more???

itsmeela said...

naks naman..

Felai Puerto said...

huwaaaat?!?! pinaka-gwapong prophet man jud...hehehe